Sunday, October 05, 2008

Control hypertension without medicine - real life story

Here is my real life story about how I licked hypertension (high blood pressure). I belong to the high risk group because I am 60 years old and I have close relatives who have died from burst blood vessel in the brain plus a cousin who had been on hypertension medication for 20 years.

About 2 over months ago the doctor measured my blood pressure to be 150 over 90. A week later, it was 150 over 100. This would place me in the stage one hypertension. The doctor wanted to put me on medication, but I pleaded to try to control the blood pressure via diet plus exercise as once I go on hypertension medication, I would have to take it for the rest of my life. I was told to see him again in 2 months time.



I bought a digital blood pressure monitor and started avoiding fried food, oily stuff and reduced my intake of meat and took more toufu. I started exercising using my zero cost exercise machine. However, I am a widower and have to eat out, and thus cannot control my salt intake. The blood pressure was erratic - ranging from 140 over 90 to as low as 90 over 60. On the whole, however, it was better than the initial readings by the doctor.

When I saw the doctor again, he said the he will have to take the higher reading and wanted to put me on low dose medication. I pleaded to try dieting and exercising again and was told to see him again in 3 months time.

Now I started to cook my own food so that I can control my diet. I can say that my blood pressure is under control now.

More later.

0 comments:

Post a Comment